On the 25th of June this year, I started a little experiment. I was a Guinea Pig. I felt my chubby cheeks and willingness to run around made me a good choice of test subject.
What have I learned?
1. Exercise for mental health and to do things (walk up a hill, explore a new place, move furniture). Your basal metabolic rate goes down as you age and you tend to eat the same amount (or more) and your exercise is generally less vigorous.
2. Weight loss comes from your diet. Don’t kid yourselves. See 1. above. I’ve run faster before but with far more training. My time in this years City to Bay was based on weight loss not kilometres of training.
3. Sugar is addictive and unequivocally bad for you. Sugar crashes hurt. I have nothing good to say about sugar.
4. Routine works. During the time I was watching my diet and trying to train, life tried to get in the way. If you don’t make time to train it won’t happen. No excuses.
5. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
I had a ball working all of these things out, but my main passion in life is Partridge Street General Practice. If you’re thinking of seeing us as a patient or aspire to working here and being part of an awesome team, say hi right here!